Security Officer - Continuing Education
OC and Baton for Security
THIS COURSE IS LIMITED IN AVAILABILITY AND IS OFFERED ONCE EVERY QUARTER. This is a packaged set of training courses that include Oleoresin Capsicum, or OC, ASP or expandable baton. This course is a focused curriculum on the use of these defensive tools specifically designed for the certification of the Texas security officer.
This class will give you a thorough understanding of how pepper sprays work on an assailant, the legalities associated with their use, and how to deploy pepper spray quickly and effectively. You will learn how to use unarmed self defense skills to gain the time necessary to use the sprays. And you will even get to practice those defenses and spray an attacker with inert spray during simulated confrontations.
You will also gain confidence in the use of the ASP or any baton-type impact weapon. You will learn to form the weapon into an extension of your body, and use it safely and effectively. You will be able to perform all techniques full force on striking bags. We will teach you threat assessment and verbal commands. We will also discuss the use-of-force continuum and laws concerning the use of batons.
The benefits to this training program are a reduction in officer/subject injury, reduced exposure to civil/criminal liability, reduced workers compensation claims and an increase in officer safety.
- Keeping from spraying oneself
- What happens if you are sprayed
- Keeping an assailant from taking your OC
- Multiple assailants
- OC on animals
- Legalities of carry.
- Safety with batons in training and self-defense
- Vital points of the anatomy
- Grips of the weapon
- Ready positions
- Snapping, shocking, whipping, and interval strikes
- “Loaded”, tip, and butt-cap strikes
- Punches and angle cross strikes
- Thrusting techniques
- Attack and counterattack combinations
- Multiple opponent drills
- Retention of the weapon against grabs
- Weapon nomenclature, types, styles, and sizes
- Weapon selection, maintenance, repair, and carriers available.
If you have an Expandable/Straight Baton, please bring to class, otherwise we will have one to borrow; Mouth guard.
Cost: $99.00 (10 hours)
Static Pistol Marksmanship
Take your firearm handling skills to the next level with our Static Pistol Marksmanship course! Designed for security officers looking to move beyond the basics of firearm handling, this course introduces students to the essential skills needed in real world encounters. This course was designed and is instructed by our school director.
- Level III Commissioned Security Officer training (required, please bring your PSB pocket card or Level III training certificate as evidence)
- Appropriate clothing and footwear (duty uniform recommended)
- Full duty belt including duty holster, dual magazine case, and handcuff case
- Full duty equipment including flashlight and handcuffs
- Handgun (minimum caliber 9mm or .38spl) with three magazines or two speed loaders
- 150 rounds ammunition (200 recommended)
- Enhance knowledge of selection and placement for holster and duty equipment
- Develop knowledge of handgun ballistics and duty ammunition selection
- Reinforce fundamentals of handgun marksmanship
- Develop skills for engagement of targets from the holster, low ready, and high ready
- Develop skills for engagement of targets in low-light conditions
- Develop alternative shooting positions including kneeling, prone, behind wall cover, behind vehicle cover, and downed arm
Cost: $125.00 (8 hours)
TASER® Electronic Control Devices
TASER® devices save lives and are generically known as electronic control devices. TASER® brand devices are among the safest use-of-force options available today. TASER® systems use proprietary technology to safely incapacitate dangerous, combative or high-risk individuals who pose a risk to law enforcement and security officers, innocent citizens or themselves. TASER® devices have been proven statistically to dramatically reduce injury rates to suspects and officers.
This course is designed to provide training on the use of TASER® brand electronic control devices. Force options and decision making, tactics, medical issues, weapon maintenance and personal safety are just a few of the topics covered in this workshop.
•Electrical and medical background
•How ECDs work to incapacitate
•Probe removal considerations
•Comparison of TASER® models
•Field applications & what can go wrong
•Safety considerations and associated risks
•Practical scenario(s) and written examination
Students are required to bring two(2) new/unused M26/X26 TASER® Cartridges with them to class.
Students should have a current and valid registration as a Non-Commissioned or Commissioned Security Officer.
Cost: $175.00 (8 hours)