CHL/LTC (License to Carry)
Effective January 1, 2016, the Concealed Handgun License (CHL) class will now be called License to Carry (LTC) due to the fact that Open Carry for Licensed individuals will become legal on this date.
Effective September 1, 2013, the Texas Concealed Handgun License Class is a Four to Six Hour Class, not including RANGE TIME. Our class will be approximately Five hours with range time.
Effective March 1st, 2011, the TX DPS requires that all Texas Concealed Handgun License Applicants obtain their fingerprints from L1. You cannot schedule an appointment until the TX DPS has received your application. To schedule an appointment, call 1-888-467-2080 or visit their website at https://www.ibtfingerprint.com/locations/?st=tx.
The Academy at DFW Gun offers 2 convenient ways to complete the training requirements to receive a license to carry a concealed handgun from the Texas Department of Public Safety. We offer weekend classes, and evening class on Monday and Thursday nights. Upon successful completion of the class and submission of the application materials, the state will issue you a license as soon as 60 days, assuming there is no legal disqualification. Our CHL/LTC class package includes the following:
- Training by a DPS certified instructor
- Qualify in house on our DPS approved range (indoor, safe, clean, and climate controlled)
- Application Preparation Assistance
- Handgun (if none available by student) for use during range qualification
- Safety glasses, and hearing protection for use during range qualification
- Concealed carry law
- Where you can carry and where you cannot
- When you can use force or deadly force
- Legal implications of use of force or deadly force
- Texas weapons laws
- Nonviolent dispute resolution
- Firearms safety
If you have further questions, please call at 214-630-4866 or check out the Department of Public Safety’s website at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm.
Handgun gun, 50 rounds of ammunition, safety glasses, and hearing protection for use during range qualification. It is no longer required to have your application packet before you begin class. If you do not have your Application Packet, we have them available.
The CHL/LTC course is presented as the minimum necessary to meet the regulatory requirements of the Texas Concealed Handgun Law; there are many significant topics related to concealed carry/open carry and personal self-defense which remain uncovered, and you are strongly encouraged to continue to explore these areas on your own.
We will need all individuals that participate in this class to complete a safety waiver. This can be done in store, however, for speedy check in you may fill this waiver out at this website in advance www.smartwaiver.com/v/dfwgun
This course is not a “how-to-shoot” class. It is expected that the student has already achieved a minimum safe level of proficiency with their handgun, including loading, unloading, slide or cylinder manipulation, proper use of safety devices ,and operational controls. During the proficiency test, students will be expected to be safe while handling their firearms which is part of the test. Students who cannot meet these standards will fail the proficiency test and will need to retest at later date. Prospective students who have little handgun experience are encouraged to visit the range prior to class and take a 20 Minute Training Class or schedule an Introduction to Handguns 2-1/2 hour personal instruction class.
There are 25 classes scheduled for this course. Choose a scheduled class time below to continue:
- November 15, 2018 04:30 PM (Registration Closed)
- November 17, 2018 08:00 AM Register
- November 18, 2018 09:00 AM Register
- November 19, 2018 04:30 PM Register
- November 24, 2018 08:00 AM Register
- November 25, 2018 09:00 AM Register
- November 26, 2018 04:30 PM Register
- November 29, 2018 04:30 PM Register
- December 01, 2018 08:00 AM Register
- December 02, 2018 09:00 AM Register
- December 03, 2018 04:30 PM Register
- December 06, 2018 04:30 PM Register
- December 08, 2018 08:00 AM Register
- December 09, 2018 09:00 AM Register
- December 10, 2018 04:30 PM Register
- December 13, 2018 04:30 PM Register
- December 15, 2018 08:00 AM Register
- December 16, 2018 09:00 AM Register
- December 17, 2018 04:30 PM Register
- December 20, 2018 04:30 PM Register
- December 22, 2018 08:00 AM Register
- December 23, 2018 09:00 AM Register
- December 27, 2018 04:30 PM Register
- December 29, 2018 08:00 AM Register
- December 30, 2018 09:00 AM Register